Freitag, 22. Mai 2015

Music Things from 2009 - part 1

Archive stuff from my Music Journal again...

____

Remember The Time

29 Jun 2009, 18:29
Hi there,

last week I started to hear more music by The Honorary Title and it seems pretty clear to me that my personal favorite track is "Stay Away" which has a really cool beginning. So this would be the next artist/group whose lyrics will be on my "I should read it"-list.

OK.. now to the tragic part: Michael Jackson passed away.
Often loved and sometimes misunderstood. Certainly a celebrity to think about. May he finally rest in peace.
I first noticed his music around 1992. His videos were really creative and he obviously had huge media presence.
Then there were those gossip news and lots of rumors... one stranger than the other. But it didn't really bother me. Actually I wasn't that interested in those headlines.
His last remarkable appearance was IMO the performance with *NSync at the 2001 MTV VMAs. After that it became really quiet. I even can't remember when his last album "Invincible" was released... but I recall some bad comments on that one. And the video for "You Rock My World" was quite disappointing.
So... the next big thing would have been the "This is it" Tour (or how it was called). Unfortunately those concerts are now impossible.
But no matter how strong or weak this famous artist was... he had some really cool songs. And those songs will remain.

Here are some of my favorite songs by the so-called King of Pop:
"Dirty Diana"
"Remember The Time"
"Who Is It"
"Scream"
"Stranger In Moscow"
"History (Remix)"
"Blood On The Dance Floor"
"Ghost"

Most of those songs weren't the real smash hits of Michael Jackson but I really like them.
Perhaps you also have some favorite MJ songs that are more off the radar... feel free to post them in a comment. :-)

CU

____

52

22 Jun 2009, 18:17
Whoa!
A whole year of weekly posts comes to an end!
OK... the title might be a little geeky :-P
(it refers to a weekly comic book with lovely covers by J.G. Jones)

Last week I listened to songs by Placebo and from the Texas album by PlayRadioPlay!.
And by the way: no, I still can't tell something about the lyrics... besides that the song "I Am A Pirate, You Are A Princess" is a lovely tune which often comes to my mind.
And then there is a newcomer to my playlist... called nevershoutnever!. And guess what... I still think there's a connection. :-P
Well, for now I can say that both kinds of music are enjoyable.

Of course some soundtracks were played when I wrote my blog entries or read some books.
And last but not least I have a new favorite track called Stars Will Lead the Way

CU


PS: Actually I intended to sum up my year of entries.. but as I went through those texts I thought somehow there is no need to do that... life goes on... the beat goes on... let it find you and you might end up happy :-)

____

Nice To Be Dead

15 Jun 2009, 21:26
Hello there,

in a couple of days I can celebrate my first "last.fm joining day" :-P

Last week was quite full - lots of appointments. But there were also many good times.
And of course there was music.
The title is by Iggy Pop whose new songs are really impressive to me. I never thought of him as a quiet singer. But things change. And he even manages French lyrics. I guess I really underestimated this artist.

What else... K-PAX is a great film and its soundtrack is one of my favorite scores ever. So it should not be a mystery why the music by Edward Shearmur is currently on heavy rotation. It can easily be used for relaxation and also for reading sessions. But if you prefer some more percussion I recommend Bear McCreary who also makes great score music (as you may have noticed).

And finally again... there are the Traveling Wilburys... again! Their music is so heavy on rotation it might hurt. ^^ I finally put some songs on my mp3-player but still I feel the need to get to know the songs better. At least I already managed to recognize most tracks within seconds.

CU


PS: I did not forget Tom Petty and PlayRadioPlay! - it's just a delay ;-)

____

Purdy

8 Jun 2009, 20:59
Ahoy,

50! Now that's an achievement.
Almost one year passed by since I started my journal here.

Due to some changes regarding my workplace I could not listen to as many songs as I would've liked to today.
But that might change soon.
Otherwise it was quite a good week.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to get to know the songs of PlayRadioPlay! better.
Instead I listened to some soundtrack music by Alexandre Desplat (from that Benjamin Button film) and the other heavy rotation stuff (Traveling Wilburys, The Wreckers, William Orbit [see title]).

The music by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers is a new discovery for me and I hope to extend my knowledge about that soon. Maybe next time I can write some more impressions besides the fact that I like both versions of "Free Fallin'" - the original and that very great acoustic cover version by John Mayer.
By the way... John Mayer is also one of the most frequent artists on my playlist last week. I'm still amazed how fantastic his first album is. Most of the songs still grow each time I listen to it.

CU

____

Stay Away

1 Jun 2009, 22:13
Hello everybody,

it's June and only some days left before I can sum up my first year as last.fm member. :-P
Time is flying... and just another week passed by.
It was a week with lots of new music I noticed through a tv show called "One Tree Hill" (never saw it).
However there are many touching songs attached to that show... really impressive.
An example would be the title which comes from a band called The Honorary Title - "Stay Away" is a song I almost instantly liked.

Another artist/band I never heard of before last week is PlayRadioPlay!. Now that's what I would call independent. A kind of electro rock sound with a high voice. At first I couldn't tell whether it was a male or a female singer... after the first pictures I saw here on last.fm... I was still not sure :D (just kidding)
At any case I would say it's worth to check out some songs by them... as I will certainly do.

In the meantime I still heard much from the Traveling Wilburys... well, "much" means their two records as there very unlikely will be more stuff. Really incredible music. During the next days I probably will mark some of that as my favorites.
Speaking (or writing) of favorites... if I should mention just two absolutely great instrumental and kind of ambient electro songs with an addictive touch... I would pick "Radioharp" and "Purdy" by William Orbit. If you have the chance try them! ^^

OK... that's it for now. Next time I probably will write some more about PlayRadioPlay!'s music.

CU

____

You Don't Have A Clue

25 May 2009, 20:44
Hi there,

summer is on its way and so things change (again).
The days keep getting longer and there's hardly night here.
Bla bla... btw. the title is from Röyksopp (in case you wondered ^^ ).

Like several times before I have got new stuff on my playlist which keeps it fresh and interesting.
So about twenty years ago there was this (quite extraordinary) collaboration of big names like Bob Dylan or Tom Petty... the bunch called itself Traveling Wilburys.
Until a few days ago I never heard of that band... which at least is a miss. Because if you put some incredibly talented musicians together you'll probably end up with amazing songs. And that's the case regarding their two records.
I certainly will take some time to get more into the lyrics and recommend to anyone: take a look/listen at those tracks.

Also last week I finally (!!!) took some time to watch the very musical independent film "Once" after I listened to the soundtrack so many times. If you're lucky you might find most of the songs as full tracks here on last.fm (I wrote about it some time ago) - otherwise you could look at youtube or elsewhere.
The film is a bit strange because I expected the standard kind of romantic events... but I got surprised by the way the story ends. All in all it's a lovely example of expressing feelings through music and about the connecting effects of music.

Last but not least here comes another recommendation: if you wanna try something different check out the new album of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. It's definitely worth some attention.

CU

____

Life Is Hard

18 May 2009, 22:57
Hello,

last week was really strange.
I made a trip to famous places and got to see a whole other world.
All those impressions... I still feel like I haven't thought it over.

On my playlist I had The Wreckers, the Pet Shop Boys, Yusuf and William Orbit on heavy rotation - what a funny combination.
It's like I could not decide between folk and electro pop music. But why decide at all? ^^

Yesterday I finally sat down to examine the new record by Bob Dylan.
So this would be my second try to review an album. But this time I won't analyse each track and simply put my thoughts in some small paragraph.
Besides I don't no much about Dylan's music (except some covers by other artist which I later found out were originally Bob Dylan songs). Some months ago I watched "I'm not there" but it confused me a lot. I still can't make up my mind wether I like it or just want to forget about it.
Well... this new record is called "Together through life" and that title probably couldn't be more to the point.
Most songs deal with partnership, love, women, dreams, bars, pain and stuff - maybe that's a recipe for the life of a musician.
The style could be categorized as blues or folk. The music captivates with simplicity and timelessness. Often there is an accordion in the background which adds a kind of warm atmosphere to the music.
So if you get the chance go try to check out some songs or maybe just read the lyrics and think about it.
I see it as a wonderful change when there are so much mass-produced tunes around.

CU

____

Friday I'm In Love

11 May 2009, 23:03
Hi there,

this was a heavy OST week for me which is only partly due to the release of the new Star Trek film.
As I mentioned some time ago I like listening to soundtracks while reading (books and such).
So obviously I did a lot of reading last week. (some work by Warren Ellis for instance) ^^
And I really like it when audio and print media seem to merge... so the story almost becomes an experience.

Otherwise I enjoyed music by The Cure and I found a new favorite track (see title).
It features wonderful guitar parts.
BTW: I am impressed by the mellow sounds of The Wreckers which are new to my playlist.
I've known the albums of Michelle Branch for a few years now but those songs are new to me.
I think most fans can be satisfied with her Wreckers work. However those years are over now and I'm curious to know what comes next.

CU

____

Be What You Must

4 May 2009, 09:03
Wohoo!

25k scrobbled tracks!
So what's going on?

Last week I often listened to Metro Station and Röyksopp... still :-)
But I also had my time with personal classics - meaning lots of songs by Roxette.
They made so many tracks which I can relate to and it's really amazing how many lyrics I still can remember after all these years :-P

Otherwise I checked out some new music by Bob Dylan and Yusuf (aka Cat Stevens).
Both new records have a great vibe, although in different styles of course.
I for myself will try to write down some thoughts about those albums... but that may take some time as I am really busy with my projects (not to mention the other blogs).

Last but not least I would like to recommend score music by Alexandre Desplat. On Last.fm you can find most of his work for the film "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button". I listened to those tracks while I was reading and really enjoyed a kind of ambient feeling.Link!

CU

____

Optical Illusions

27 Apr 2009, 18:07
Hey there,

last week was pretty full of appointments and such.
So I had to cancel some scrobbling time.
On the weekend I found the "Battle Studies Mid-Action Report" of John Mayer and I think that it's a real blessing for fans. Can't wait for final announcements. :-)

Yesterday I read that a new album by William Orbit will be released soon. The first single (see title) sounds promising although the video is quite "underwhelming". Hopefully there will be some collaborations among the new songs because I like them most.

Other matters: I heard some Metro Station songs and thought about whether one could say it is rock or pop music. In any case their music is catchy (and a bit monotonous ^^ ).
So what do you think?

Oh, just got the news that there is a free download (a song by Amy MacDonald) at amazon. Now that's what I call service. :-)

CU

____

Four Winds

20 Apr 2009, 22:59
Hi there,

last week had some pretty good moments and still was quite demanding.
Work, projects, games, gatherings and meetings... can be time-consuming.

So it's good to know that there will always be some great tracks that make you feel better.
By the way: if The Killers still have unreleased songs like "Four Winds" I'm eager for more b-sides :-)

Otherwise I listened to score music again (Transformers, BSG) because I like instrumentals when I'm reading or writing. So one could say I did both last week.
And last Sunday I found back to the absolutely stunning talent of John Mayer (voice, music & lyrics). Hopefully it won't be too long until his new stuff comes out.

New stuff on my playlist would be tracks by Röyksopp (I finally managed to remember the correct spelling), The Virgins and Metro Station.

CU

____

Love Is Colder Than Death

14 Apr 2009, 09:56
Well... hello there,

that funny title came right from my playlist.
So it's not that I would write a depressing text about frustration or disappointment.
Therefor you need to look for another journal.
In fact that certain track is one of The Virgins whose self-titled album is new to me. So far I like their music.

Another song (which also is new to me) that I'd like to recommend to everyone is Gives You Hell. I saw that one on TV and instantly felt connected. :-)
These days I'm in the mood for fun songs. So my little ballad phase seems to be over.

I think I will try to create a playlist full of fun songs. Haven't done such a thing in a long time.

CU

____

Torn

6 Apr 2009, 15:46
Hello folks,

my last week was sprinkled with ballads. And one of my favorite ballad providers are definitely Roxette. I guess it's the adjacence what makes me relate to so many songs by Scandinavian musicians. Other examples would be Lene Marlin or of course ABBA. I like their kind of tunes and the melancholic lyrics (and also many happy ones).
But these days I prefer more silent and calm songs when it gets dark outside. So titling this entry with one of my favorite melancholic songs seems to fit very good. (most of you probably know the song... if not... poor you) :-)

Other tracks on heavy rotation last week were some of the "Once" soundtrack and personal classics like indie music by Ghosts and rock music by Psypirinha. And let's not forget the amazing live songs by Genesis which can be found here on last.fm ...

CU

____

Cobrastyle

31 Mar 2009, 11:51
Ahoy,

as expected it turned out that I have Genesis songs on heavy rotation after last week. Some tracks are so ageless!
And it's a shame that apparently no new material will be released. But I still have some of their early stuff to discover.

Besides I once more rediscovered the Songs From Ally McBeal. Vonda Shepard made a very good collections of her own music and her interpretations of some classics. Especially her ballads are quite touching to me.

Further more music these days would be rock (mostly U2) and electro pop music (like Robyn) which dominate my playlist.

By the way: I finally saw The Who's "Live at the Royal Albert Hall" concert of 2001. A really amazing gig. And the special guests were the icing on the cake. :-P

CU

____

Carpet Crawlers

23 Mar 2009, 17:52
Hi there,

last week I finally found a date to watch the Genesis DVDs.
The 2007 concert in Rome was an amazing show. I was really impressed how good Phil Collins' voice is during the whole evening. And the documentary film featured some interesting facts about instantiating such an event.

On my playlist there were mostly songs of U2 last week but I also had music by Thirteen Senses on heavy rotation. And I added some new tracks from the album Slumdog Millionaire - Music From The Motion Picture. I saw the film and liked it very much. It was exotic, entertaining, thrilling and well crafted.

And last but not least... I have a new catchy tune... which is With Every Heartbeat. That song also comes up with an impressive video.

CU

____

Just Like Before

16 Mar 2009, 21:01
Hello folks,

again I managed to test some new music stuff. Some weeks ago I bought the Once soundtrack and I was pretty confused. In fact it's still the case because I'm not sure how to evaluate that album. Every time I listen to it those songs seem to be different. My plan would be to do a listening session with the lyrics. ;-)

Ok, what else... as one may notice the title of this entry is the name of a song by Seal. I saw him on television some time ago and an old question came to my mind.
In 2007 he released a really great dance album (System) and he also had a hit single (Amazing). Thanks to producer Stuart Price. Unfortunately the video appeared much later than the song.
At beginning of 2008 there was an interview with Stuart Price in which he told about an upcoming Seal tour to promote the songs of System and his classics...
But then... nothing happened.
Even the second single (The Right Life) didn't get a physical release although the song was featured in a car commercial. (nice video version by the way)
And to my surprise some months later a new Seal album was announced (Soul). Not only did it come out just a year after System. (ok... just covers and no new material) It also had a totally different direction. (ok... changes are good but for me it seemed to be a step back)
So what did really happen?
That would be my question. ^^

CU

____

Get On Your Boots

11 Mar 2009, 00:54
Hey there,

I'm late... again.
But there was a reason which should not be further explained.

Instead: News:
Well... let's see... my most played artist of last week would be Psypirinha and U2.
By the way I took some time to make up my mind about the new album No Line on the Horizon. It could be seen as my first impression because time can change opinions.
And if you want to get to know the songs yourself just click on the link.

So... there are 11 brand new tracks.
01> The opener turns out to be quite unexpected because the voice seems to be squawking and unfortunately the chorus feels weak.
02> Then there is the first highlight. The second song really unites many elements why I like this band. It delivers an epic sound pattern.
03> The third track is a tough one. It appears to deal with pain. At least that is my interpretation.
04> The beginning of next song could be considered as experimental. And for the first time it sounded really strange. But those thoughtful lyrics and a great outro improve the overall result.
05> Number five has some classic characteristics. So it doesn't really sound new. But again there are some good text lines in it.
06> So that would be the first single. It reminds me of Vertigo. But this one doesn't rock that good and therefore really has some sarcastic punchlines.
07> This song has a better symbiosis of cool lyrics and funky music.
08> Here we first get a little remix of previous tracks and then there is a quite beautiful hymn to birth and Africa.
09> Now that track is a real ballad. It comes a bit dark and melancholic as it deals with youth and forgiveness.
10> Again epic sounds with a wonderful positive vibe and pensive lyrics.
11> The closing track shines with a quiet voice, some effects and clever last words.

Ok. I'm done with my first little review. Perhaps I managed to arouse some interest in those songs. If so you can drop me a line.

CU

____

Fix the world up for you

2 Mar 2009, 21:07
Hurray hurray...

20k ! :-)
Some jubilations should be mentioned.

Last week was pretty full. Full of work and gatherings.
I watched some nice movies and learned to appreciate some music of Lily Allen and Farin Urlaub. The latter features quite funny German lyrics. And I've already found some new favorite tracks.

New items in my playlist would be songs by James Morrision and Die Toten Hosen. So my interest is still spreading. ;-)

And last but not least... the new U2 album is finally released!
So their CD is on heavy rotation these days. So far it's very satisfying.
Perhaps I will do a more detailed review next week.

CU

____

Spaceman

23 Feb 2009, 18:50
Howdy!

Another week went by and somehow I feel tired.
Maybe I should take a day off and just sleep.
But then again... there is still some stuff to do this week.

Today I finished reading Marley & Me. It was really touching to get an inside view of a young family and their neurotic dog. Can't wait for the movie. :-)

Addings on the playlist involve some new songs by Lily Allen and Razorlight. There are some gems among them and I would like to ascertain the lyrics more but I'm afraid I won't take my time for this (see Johnathan Rice) ^^
Who knows...

Besides I finally managed to see the new Killers video for Spaceman.
Well... I find it interesting and also a bit whacky... but it somehow fits the song.
However if I had to envision the picturization I would have integrated some text lines and a lot more special effects ^^

CU

____

Gobi Todic

16 Feb 2009, 20:13
Hi!

Sorry... "later" has become "next week" :-)
It is not that easy to write some lines on a weekly basis.

News:
I finally managed to read Watchmen =)
That was quite a challenge because this epic tale is quite complex and loooong.
I am already looking forward to the correspondent film.
During my readings I heard the score of Battlestar Galactica and Body of Evidence et alii.
That music really did boost the story and it was fun.

Besides... last week I mostly listened to songs of Nickelback and Farin Urlaub.
And soon the new album of U2 will be released... can't wait.
So the rock fraction is on a high these days ^^

CU

____

Next go round

9 Feb 2009, 23:21
Ahoy folks,

last week was a busy one.
So... I will add some things later. ^^

CU

____

Groundhog Day

2 Feb 2009, 23:06
Yep, it's once a year and also a great movie. ^^
Just watched it again.

And yes... I have finally seen the whole Firefly series (see last entry).
Lovely episodes with an extraordinary cast.

So February just started and the new projects can begin.
I'm currently fixing the schedule and I am optimistic to gain more experience.

And I have a new favorite quotation:
Yesterday is history... tomorrow is a mystery... but today is a gift... that's why it's called present
(if you know from which movie I got that... drop me a line ^^)

Unfortunately I can't tell you much about the songs of Johnathan Rice... some other time :-/
Don't want to sound like an advert but these days I'm really enjoying the music by Thirteen Senses. Those tunes are almost addictive. :-P

CU

____

One week to watch them all

26 Jan 2009, 23:43
Hey there,

I have a new project.
I plan to see the whole Firefly series.
Therefor my evenings will be filled out. ^^

And next week there might start a whole new daily routine.
I'm looking forward to it.

Regarding my playlist there are some new songs by Aqualung and Johnathan Rice which gain my interest these days.
I am going to try to write something about it next time.
So... that's all for now.

CU

____

My sign is vital...

19 Jan 2009, 22:11
Hello again,

recovering took me some days but the worst part is over.
I also managed to watch some films.
I can smile again ^^

So today there was an impulse for a new project.
And therefore some new transactions have to be done.
Hopefully it works out well.

And I finally watched the third season of The IT-Crowd.
It was very funny... as always. :D
Can't wait for more.

On the playlist new stuff from Beyoncé, Kevin Rudolf and Razorlight could be added.
Besides the classics came back.

CU + take care

____

Sorry

13 Jan 2009, 21:23
Hey there,

bad news... I am ill -.-
So this time there is not much to say.
Last week I heard some older stuff by Linkin Park and Lene Marlin but mostly it was internet radio with new music.

CU + take care

____

Discovering

5 Jan 2009, 23:18
Hello,

so... after some more days off life can finally begin in 2009. ^^
I already found some very interesting songs among my recommendations.
I never thought that internet radio could be so much fun.
Can't wait to learn more...

Besides I have definitely become a fan of The Killers and Thirteen Senses... their music is on heavy rotation these days.

CU

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen